Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Does Owning Guns Make Me a Bad Person?

Gun Control seems to be a very polarizing issue.  Every day there are good people who are either killed or wounded by guns and I believe that this is the root of the problem.  The fact that more good people are killed every day in auto accidents by drunken drivers than by guns does not diminish the issue.  The same can be said about obesity, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and even household accidents.  The simple fact is that the number of death by firearms is at the bottom of almost any list of "Causes of Death" in America.  But that does not make it any less significant.  I agree that death by a firearm is a terrible way for a person to die.
Gun Control is a wonderful concept.  Maybe we could also have Alcohol Control.  And let's not forget Drug Control.  Bigotry Control.  Racism Control.  What a wonderful world it would be.
Back to the real world... so... what about it?  Can we control firearms in the United States?  The answer is "I doubt it."  Can we control who buys a firearm?  Maybe, but only to a certain extent.  Criminals and crazies will always be able to get weapons.  It's a fact that we will just have to live with.
My answer may not be the same as your answer but I choose to own guns.  My wife owns a gun.  We keep them where we can get to them in a heartbeat.  If someone breaks into my house I don't want to have to find the key to a box and then open the box, take out the gun, find the ammo, load the gun, and then address the situation to see if the intruder is still around.  No.  I keep my guns loaded and handy.  Does that make me a bad person?  I don't think so.  Everybody in my area knows I am a gun owner.  Most know that my wife is also.  I doubt that I will ever have to face an intruder.  Why?  Because I am a gun owner.  Does that make me a bad person?

No comments:

Post a Comment