Sunday, May 12, 2013

What the Hell Did Dr. Spock Know?

Today is Mother's Day here in the United States and I feel compelled to say a few words about all of the mothers out there.  Don't ask me why, but one of the first things I thought about when my fingers touched the keyboard was Dr. Benjamin Spock and the books he wrote about raising children in the 1940's and later.  Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about him:

Benjamin McLane Spock (May 2, 1903 – March 15, 1998) was an American pediatrician whose book Baby and Child Care, published in 1946, is one of the biggest best-sellers of all time. Throughout its first 52 years, Baby and Child Care was the second-best-selling book, next to the Bible.[1] Its message to mothers is that "you know more than you think you do."[2]


I love that last sentence.  Even though Dr. Spock was a learned pediatrician he never gave birth to a child.  I am sure that he was a wise man but can a man really possess the feelings and instincts that a Mother is born with and develops through motherhood?  I certainly am not going to sit here and bash him, but I have oftentimes wondered how a man ended up writing such a prolific book about child-rearing when it seems that this would have been a woman who authored such a prominent book.  Oh well.  We men think we know it all and the women just let us keep on thinking that, I guess.  Aren't women wonderful?
Anyway, I want to say a huge "Thank You!" to all of you Mothers out there and here's hoping that you have a truly wonderful "Mother's Day."  You certainly deserve it.  Bless you all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment